5 Random Thoughts: The NFL Draft

tayke2 On 11:36 AM

So I realized I haven't been posting enough on non poker sports, so I'm going to try a weekly post called "5 random things". This week, I'll be discussing the NFL draft and the trades after. Hope you enjoy it.

1. Rams take a risk on Sam Bradford: Bradford's talent is unquestioned. He might have been the top pick in last year's draft if he had come out, but he came back for his final year and it looked like at first he paid for it. Here's the thing: the Rams are taking a big risk here considering Bradford hurt his THROWING shoulder. Were it his left shoulder, it wouldn't be as bad. But here are the facts. The Rams are absolutely atrocious. They make the Raiders look like the Colts. I saw an amazing stat last week. The Rams have won 6 games in the last 3 years!!!! That is just brutal. They need a fresh start, and Bradford should be a good start. I just hope his shoulder can hold up, because the guys that were falling on him in college are gonna be alot smaller then the trucks that will crush him in the NFL.

2. Seahawks kill their draft: While I was upset with Pete Carroll at first for passing a couple Trojans who were the same positions as players he drafted, I must admit he killed his first draft. At this point, the Hawks are still a mediocre team. They will still be a sub 500 team this year, but Carroll has them going in the right direction. And look for the Hawks to try to trade up for a top pick next year to snag Jake Locker or Andrew Luck to be the follower to Matt Hasselbeck, who is going to be on his last legs soon.

3. Looking for a sleeper in the bottom half of the 1st round: I'm going to go with Kareem Jackson from Alabama taken by the Texans. Here's why. I'll be fully honest. I don't know much about Jackson. But here's what I do know. As bad as the Raiders have been in the draft in the last 5 years, the Texans have been arguably that good. Does anyone remember how crazy the Texans were for passing on can't miss Reggie Bush for Mario Williams. Well 4 years after that selection, Reggie Bush does have a ring, but the fact is he is being paid I believe around 9 million dollars to be a 3rd string running back and mostly gadget player, while Williams has multiple Pro Bowls under his belt, and has turned into one of the best pass rushers in all of football. Also, remember how the 2000's were the decade of the stud Wide Recievers. Can't miss guys like Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Roy Williams. A few panned out, no one more so then a guy named Andre Johnson, who the Texans snagged with the 3rd pick in the draft. Plain and simple, the Texans scouts need a raise, and in the next couple years, their hard work will finally pay off, with a deep playoff run coming. Mark my words.

4. Campbell traded to the Raiders: Campbell has really had an unfortunate situation in Washington. Campbell is a very solid Quarterback, the potential to be a pro bowler. But in Washington, he has been under either a new coach or new offensive coordinator every single year. It is almost impossible to expect any QB to pick up a new offense every year. Now having said that, he's going from one bad situation to another by going to Oakland. But the Raiders showed last year they can beat good teams, and Campbell has a decent amount of young talent around him. I'm not predicting playoffs for the Raiders, but I think they will be very happy with this acquisition.

5. The Jamarcus Russell era coming to an end in Oakland: I'm going to say something that will probably shock alot of people. I don't think Russell is THAT bad. I'm certainly not saying he's a great QB, even a good QB. But Russell is a perfect example of what happens when you put a player that was highly over valued in the draft(he got the #1 pick basically off of one great game in the Sugar Bowl against Notre Dame I believe) and a shitty situation in Oakland where he had 0 help around him. Here are my honest beliefs. If Russell can go to a team with a veteran QB, maybe the Colts or the Bengals, I think Russell can come in and give the team 4 to 5 solid years. The kid clearly has talent and potential. He showed that last year when he came in cold turkey in the 4th quarter and led a 2 minute drill winning TD drive against the Broncos who were a playoff team at the time. His work ethic has been the issue, but I think under the wing of a guy like Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer, he can be a solid QB, maybe a Byron Leftwich type. Even if he goes on to have a good career, a pro bowl or two, he will still be one of the biggest busts of all time. That's what happens when you are drafted #1 and don't put W's on the board. All I'm saying is: Don't give up on Jamarcus yet.

Those are some of my thoughts. What do you guys think? Am i crazy to back Jamarcus? Probably lol. Thanks for reading.

0 Responses "5 Random Thoughts: The NFL Draft"