Most Wonderful Time of the Year

tayke2 On 12:23 PM

It truly is. Its December. Christmas is around the corner. Everyone is in the holiday spirit. But thats not what I'm most excited about. I'm stoked about football post season. Lets start with college football.

This post season could turn out one of two ways, and it all boils down to Auburn and South Carolina. If Auburn wins, the BCS can rest for another year. Auburn will play Oregon, TCU will probably play Wisconsin. Stanford against Big 12 champ. The Orange bowl won't matter, and the sugar bowl might produce an interesting matchup.

If South Carolina beats Auburn, which I pray to god happens, well then prepare for utter anarchy. Oregon will be at the top, awaiting one of three teams: TCU, Wisconsin, and Stanford. For my money, Stanford is the best of the 3 teams(called me biased lol). But I don't see anyway that two pac-10 teams can play for the title. So I think they are out. Then it would be TCU and Wisconsin. I've always been a proponent of the little guy getting a shot at the title. But this year, I'm not sure that TCU is better then Wisconsin or Stanford. Ultimately though, I don't see how Wisconsin can get into the championship considering that Michigan State beat them and is 11-1 as well. So my money would be on TCU to play Oregon. Either way, lets pray for Auburn to lose....and then 5 years from now get probation for 2 years hurting the 14 year olds of the world who want to go to Auburn.

Then, there is the NFL. I can't remember a time where there has been more parity at the top, and I just love it. Consider this: 11 of the 12 teams in the playoffs will all have a legitimate shot of winning the Super Bowl. The only team that won't will be the NFC West Champ, making the race for the #5 seed and top wild card that much more important, as that team will be a heavy favorite on the road in the playoffs. Crazy. Here are some games to look out for that will shape the playoff picture, starting in the AFC.

New York Jets at New England- Next Monday night. Talk about the game of the year so far. The winner of this matchup will be in the drivers seat for the #1 seed. The Patriots are under more pressure, as a loss would mean a sweep by the Jets and would almost guarantee a wild card for the Pats. Given that its in New England though, I like the Pats here.

Pittsburgh at Baltimore- Next Sunday night- Get the picture. Next week is huge for the playoffs. Another case of the winner gets the 2 seed and the loser likely falls all the way to 6. The Ravens have already won at Pitt, and I like them to sweep the Steelers here on Sunday night with a hard fought 17-14 win.

In the AFC South, pick any division game. The Jags are 6-5, Colts 5-5, Texans 5-6, Titans 5-6. I think the Jags and the Titans are out of the race. The Colts and Texans are just superior teams. The Texans know how to turn it on down the stretch. I like the Colts here. Not just because of their veteran leadership, but they have a much easier schedule then the Texans.

Kansas City at San Diego- Sunday Dec 5- Who would have thought this would be a division decider. The Chargers are the favorites here, and will likely win, but the season won't be over for the Chiefs, who have a 1 game advantage at the moment, and won their 1st matchup.

Philadelphia at New York Giants- Sun Dec 19- Alot can change from now till then, but you have to figure this will shape the division. I like the Eagles here. Despite losing yesterday, I think they are a better team then the Giants. I think the Giants will desperately be fighting with the Bears for that last wild card spot.

Chicago at Green Bay- Last week of season- Talk about a big one. But honestly, the Bears have a brutal schedule. After Detroit, they close out with the Patriots, Vikes, Jets, and Packers. Likely a 1-3 ending to give them a 10-6 record, which could be good enough for the wild card, but won't be good enough for the division imo.

New Orleans at Atlanta- Monday night Dec 27. No matter the outcome of this game, both teams figure to be in good or decent shape. Assuming they both win out save for this game, the winner should be the #1 team in the NFC, while the loser will get the coveted 5 seed, and have a walk in the first round of the playoffs. Given that its at Atlanta, i like the Falcons here, but if they meet a 3rd time in the playoffs, I like the Saints.

I won't even waste my time on the horrible NFC West, but right now my money is on the Hawks. I think they suck the least. With all these teams so tight, I look at playoff experience as the ultimate decider. Given that, I'm going to go with New England and New Orleans in the Super Bowl. Thanks for reading.

0 Responses "Most Wonderful Time of the Year"