World Cup Breakdown: The 2nd round

tayke2 On 1:21 PM

Well over the past week I've narrowed the World Cup from 32 teams down to 16. Today, I will be naming my final 4. Lets get started!

2nd Round

France vs Nigeria: I realllly wanna pull the trigger on an upset here, because France has looked awful recently, but the French have a habit of stepping up their game come tournament time. France takes it 2-1 here.

England vs Ghana
: This would have been a fantastic matchup were Michael Essien still playing, but his injury really hurts their chances. England should get the win here, if they can play their game. Another 2-1 win here.

Netherlands vs Paraguay
: The Dutch are the far superior team here, and they shouldn't have much trouble easing into a win here. They will light up the score board in a 3-1 victory.

Brazil vs Chile
: Another open and shut win here the Brazilians are the class of the tournament. Easy victory for them I'll say 2-0 as the word out of Brazil is that for once their defense is as good as their offense. That is just scary.

Germany vs USA
: Upset alert! Call me optimistic or a homer or whatever you want, but I got the US in this one. If these players are still half as bitter as I am about the 2002 loss where the US was a missed hand ball away from a shot at the semi finals. I like their chances here I think a 2-1 victory in penalty kicks.

South Africa vs Argentina
: The dream ends here for the world cup host. Argentina is a leg above everyone else they have faced so far. The home crowd will keep it closer then it should be, but Argentina tacks on a late goal to make a good looking 3-1 final score.

Italy vs Cameroon: Going with another upset here. I'm very high on the Cameroon squad, and the Italians are flirting with the fine line between experienced and old. I think Cameroon kills Italy with their speed, and notches a 2-1 upset here.

Spain vs Portugal: This is a sick 2nd round matchup. This could be a semi final in most years, and this one will be great. If this were 4 years ago, I would take Portugal in a heart beat. But this year, I got Spain in a 3-2 classic that could go to PK's.

So now lets take a look at my quarter finals.

France vs England: A matchup of two clubs that are usually world class but have been playing anything but that recently. I like England in this one. Wayne Rooney will carry his team if he has to. This could be a great game, or a very ugly one. I see it coming down to penalty kicks, with Rooney notching the game winner. 2-1

Netherlands vs Brazil: This could very well be the game of the tournament. Two of the top 5 teams in the world meet up here, and I think it could be an absolute shoot out. I have the Brazil team wining 3-2, but this could be the biggest test for the Brazilian squad.

USA vs Argentina: The US squad has never made it past the quarterfinals, and I don't think that will change this year. Their saving grace could be the suspect coaching of Diego Mardona, but I'm not sure that will be enough. If Gooch has the speed to stay with Messi, we have a shot. But I'm not counting on it. I've got Argentina here in a close one 1-0.

Cameroon vs Spain
: Am I insane? Perhaps. Is this my wallet talking and not me? Perhaps. But I'm not one to pick chalk city in any event, and this is no different. I have to have a cinderella, and I'm going with Cameroon on this one. They have a great offense, and they will have the crazy home crown on their side. Combine that with the tendency of Spain to choke on the bit stage, and I got my upset here. Cameroon takes it in PK's 3-2.

Ok we have my Final 4 here. We have England taking on Brazil and Argentina taking on Cameroon. What are your thoughts? Am I crazy to pick Cameroon. Perhaps. Thanks for reading.

0 Responses "World Cup Breakdown: The 2nd round"