World Cup Breakdown Part 1

tayke2 On 3:17 PM

So the World Cup is but a mere 10 days away, and in that time I am goign to break down every team in the tournament by group, and today I'm starting with Group A: France, Uruguay, Mexico, and the Host South Africa. I think that this is the most even group in the tournament, as I think the difference between the "best" team France, and the "worst" team South Africa is smaller then in any other group.

France: France has had a steady fall from grace since their unlikely trip to the Finals in the last world cup. They struggled mightily through qualifying, due in most part to what many believe is suspect coaching at best. And they only advanced by beating Ireland due to one of the most controversial plays in recent memory. However, France has a knack to turn it on come World Cup time, and given that it might just take 1 victory to ensure advancement in what I see being a very tight group, I think they will make it into the 2nd round.

Uruguay
: Uruguay hasn't really been a force in soccer since the 1960's, and I'm not sure that much will change this year. They do have two solid scorers in Diego Martin Forlon and Sebastian Abreu, but I think Uruguay will ultimately end up last in this group.

Mexico
: Mexico has quietly been one of the most consistent teams in the World Cup, making it past the group stage in the last 4 world cups. However, the team is slowly getting older, and they might get passed up this year. Mexico is the safe #2 team in the group, but I'm gonna go with an upset.

South Africa: Any sports fan knows how big home field advantage is. In Soccer, it might be bigger then any other sport. The Host Country has made the 2nd round in every world cup since the beginning. Even average teams such as South Korea/Japan in 2002 and USA in 1994 have made it past the 2nd round. I'm going wit ha gut feeling here, and say that the South Africa fans are going to will their team to an upset over Uruguay, and make it to Round 2.

Predictions: 1.France 2. South Africa


Stay tuned tomorrow where I will break down Group B. Think I'm way off base on any of these teams? Feel free to comment. Thanks for reading.

0 Responses "World Cup Breakdown Part 1"