The Roller Coaster of Poker

tayke2 On 1:28 AM

The past two days perfectly exemplify both why I love and why I hate poker, and why I could never use it as a consistent form of revenue. Going into play yesterday, I was flying high. I had jsut cash out 3200 bucks, and I was already deciding which tournament I was gonna make a deep run in this time. Well a couple hours later, and 200 dollars in buy ins later, I was left with nothing to show for it, running dead cold in every tournament I played. Down to 900 bucks after the cashout.

Today I was looking to get most of it back, and it wasn't looking good to start. After a couple turbos and some KO's I was down about 100 until I got 6th in a KO to get...108 bucks. Even on the afternoon. I decide to take a big poker night tonight and register for a ton of touranments, including a 55 and and a 75 I wanted to gamble with. Well, I once again ran dead cold. This time I was down to about 690 bucks with just one tournament left, a 26 buck stud hi/lo tournament. While holdem has been the main source of basiclaly all my winnings, I try to dabble in all of the other games, and for whatever reason I've had the best results in stud hi lo. I've had decent consistent success in cash games, and in the first live stud hi lo tournament I played, I got 9th place out of about 150 people for 210 bucks, where outside of one otehr 20 something year old, I was the youngest palyer by 20 years.

A quick crash course for those of you who don't know what stud hi lo is. Its just like regular stud, where you are dealt 2 cards down, 4 cards up, and 1 card down, and try to make your best 5 card hand. The catch is, a player can play a "lo" hand if he has 5 cards that are 8 or low that don't pair up. For example, if two players are heads up, and one guy has a full house KKKAA42 nad hte other guy has a low 8542A, they split the pot 50 50. The best hand to have in the game is called the wheel A2345, as it is the best possible low hand, and will often be hte best high hand. There will always be a high hand in every hand, but there may not neccessairly be a low hand. hope you guys followed all that lol.

Anyways, I played this tournament alittle differently then those in the past and I feel as though it definetely helped my game. In the past, I would always call with the starting hands of most pairs, flush draws, straight draws, and any 3 low cards. However, I decide to cut down on the low 3 cards rule, folding non connecting hands like 842 or 75A, espeically if I'm only against 1 or two players. The reason being is that I'm really only drawing to low cards, and even if I hit I only win half the pot, which in the case of a heads of battle, is equal to the money I put in. So the tournamet got around 150 people with 16 paid. I was chip leader from about 24 people to 12, and ended up starting the final table in 4th of 8th but with still alot of chips. So we get down to 5 handed and I have the chip lead, but the limits are so high, that even with all my chips I could be the short stack in two hands. Sure enough, by the time 5th place is eliminated, I only have 20k with the big bet at 5k. Aka I'm fucked. So I ended up pushing with starting Aces, and lose to a 6 card straight. For fourth place I get 300 dollars. I started the night with 950 bucks. I ended it with...990. Lol this is the life of a poker player. Oh well, you can never complain with a day when you are up! More updates coming. Football in one day!!! So exicted. Thanks for reading.

0 Responses "The Roller Coaster of Poker"