Heisman Hopefuls

tayke2 On 2:57 PM

The most prestigious individual award in college football and arguably in all of sports will be handed out Saturday, and its about as wide open as it has been in years. Now historically, I have picked the Heisman wrong in recent years (Fitzgerald over White, Johnson over Palmer, Peterson over Leinart) so I apologize in advance to the guy I pick. So here's my breakdown of the 5 candidates.

5. Tim Tebow- More of a courtesy invite here I think. His stats this year haven't been as great as years past, and he did not play well in his final SEC game. A great career coming to an end.

4. Colt McCoy- This mite come as a surprise to many, but statistically and realistically, it makes sense. Many people will vote for McCoy for a "career" Heisman or they will see it fitting that Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy all hold Heismans. But here are the facts. McCoy is 6th in passing yards, 8th in TDs, 3rd in Comp %, and 18th in overall rating. Great Stats for anyone's standards. But for McCoy's standards coming in this year, he could have done better. Also consider the schedule for McCoy, with games against Wyoming, Louisiana Monroe, UTEP, and UCF. But more then anything, here is why McCoy doesn't deserve the Heisman this year. In his last game, and the biggest game of his career against Nebraska, he looked awful. MORE importantly, he was completely outplayed by one of the other candidates Suh. You cannot convince me that after that big a game, McCoy deserves the trophy over a guy who dominated him just last week.

3. Mark Ingram- For my money, I think he will win the trophy. But I'm not sure it is deserved. Statistically, Gerhart has outrun him throughout the season. For anyone who argues that he had a tougher schedule then gerhart, consider that he has played Florida International, North Texas, and Chattanoga. The non conference opponents for Gerhart were Wake Forest, San Jose St., and Notre Dame. For my money, its difficult for me to give Ingram the award when he is not even the best running back in contention.

2. Ndamukong Suh- He could not have asked for a better game to come into this Heisman ceremony. As it was, Suh had one of the best defensive games I've ever seen. Had Nebraska been able to complete the incredible upset, it would have arguably gone down as the great individual defensive game in College History. He singlehandedly shut down one of the best offenses in football, and in doing so, got himself a shit ton of money come the NFL draft in June.

1. Toby Gerhart- He leads the nation in all statical categories. So if you are basing it on Most Outstanding player, you have to go with him. Without him, Stanford goes through its usual 3-9 season. So if you are basing it on most Valuable player, he wins. Without him, they do not destroy USC. So if you are basing it on playing well in big games, you have to go with him. No matter how I look at it, Gerhart gets my vote every time.

Those are my thoughts. What do you guys think? Will McCoy take the career heisman? Will Suh become the 2nd defensive player to win? Let me know. Thanks for reading.

0 Responses "Heisman Hopefuls"